European Deliberations on ITER
The King Panel
The Mission of the King Panel is: "Analyse the two sites proposed in Europe
for ITER, Cadarache (F) and Vandellos (E), with a view to report to the
Commission on maximising the possibilities that ITER is based in Europe."
The King Panel has the following members:
The French and Spanish proponents testified before the
King Panel on the 9th of July, with a second (smaller) session on 18th of
July. The King Panel is supposed to make its report available to the
European Commission before the end of July.
The Council of Research Ministers will meet on September 23 to consider the King Panel Report.
The Science Ministers of the ITER Partners will meet on October 9, 2003 in Vienna to consider the site proposals for ITER, cost sharing proposals and personell.
- Sir David King, Chairman (UK): Chief scientific adviser to the UK
government; chairman of the "Fusion Fast Track" Group
- Prof Angelo Airaghi (IT): Chairman of Ansaldo Energies and President of
Ansaldo Richerche; Chairman of the last 5-year assessment Panel on Fusion;
Member of Euratom Sci.&Tech Com.
- Mr Marcel Gaube (BE): General Manager of Belgatom; Member of the "Fusion
Fast Track" Group and of Foratom Executive Committee
- Prof Alkis Grecos (GR): Prof of Physics at the UNiversity of Thessaly,
- Dr Lars Hgberg (SW): Member of Euratom Sci.&Tech. Com.; Member of the
"Fusion Fast Track" group
- Prof Carlos Matos Ferreira (PO): Prof of Physics and Chairman of the
Instituto Superia Technico, Lisbon University; Member of the mast 5-year
asssessment Panel on Fusion; Former Member of the Executive Committee and
Council of the EPS
- Dr Gerd Eisenbeiss (DE): Member of the Board of Directors, Forschugzentrum
Jlich; Former Programme Director for Energy, Laser and Transport research,
German Aerospace Center, Cologne